Friday, March 19, 2010

I Love My Country Dry

I love Kuwait because alcoholic beverages are illegal here, it is rare on this planet of ours to have such a dry land. It is very much like that quaint neighborhood coffee shop that was around for years and you really hope doesn't get bought up by these big global coffee names making it part of the "global village" instead of the actual village (in this case neighborhood). So yeah I really like that we are unique in that way and most importantly being a Muslim country and not contradicting that statement by allowing such contradictory chemicals to enter our unique and quaint land.

I once received an e-mail stating the opinion that legalizing alcohol will decrease the amount of people who drink in Kuwait.

I don't believe that legalizing alcohol in Kuwait will make people not drink. Legal or not legal, drinkers will be drinkers.

For starters (and here's the word some people dislike to hear) it is 7aram* (a sin). I'm proud that our Muslim country is one of the few that bans alcohol and we're not following the whole world into a new world order-globalization of morals type of way, and frankly I kinda like the fact that the smugglers sell their stuff at black market prices and forcing the drinkers to pay more, therefore touching them in their most sensitive spot (their purses, or wallets) and this actually minimizes drinking not increases it.

To answer the other question: "But I also see it as government not doing anything to deal with the issues of why do people drink?" The government's job is to enforce the law of an Islamic country, as to why do they drink? I don't know if anyone can answer that question, why do people lie? Why do people cheat? Why would I want to blame the government for everything wrong in my life?


*keep in mind that "7aram" is a word that is not said lightly in Islam only with solid evidence.
Solid evidence meaning the Quran and the prophet's sayings (hadiths) that have a well researched thread for their validity.

NB.  Photo of  SEI water bottle.